The “Fonti S.Bernardo” company was founded in 1926 as a public company having as its intent the bottling of mineral water in glass containers of differing formats and having a facility in Garessio (CN) in the Maritime Alps. For centuries the S.Bernardo mineral water had been known as the “Miraculous Source of S.Bernardo” by locals: the first to benefit from the water’s therapeutic properties and to appreciate its particular lightness.
© Stereoplastika Illustration
The origin of such an evocative definition is best sought in the legend of Aleramo which dates back to 980 A.D. It tells of the octogenarian forefather of the Marquesses of Monferrato who suffered from circulatory and kidney disorders and who cured himself with the waters from the S.Bernardo Source, deriving immediate relief with every sip.
This is a long history of wellbeing and purity. Initiated by the popular tradition of the S.Bernardo water, thence made famous thanks to public figures such as Napoleon and Vittorio Emanuele II, it was, at last, publicly recognized in 1926 – year in which the commercial activity and bottling of the water gained official authorization. The glass bottle was the only type of container used until 1981, when the first PVC plastic bottle was produced.
The conversion from PVC to PET was effected in 1992. At the same time in 1991 production began at the new facility in Ormea, 10Km from Garessio, for bottling with PET containers. In May 2015 ownership of S.Bernardo passed from the multinational Sanpellegrino-Nestlé to the Gruppo Montecristo.